What’s new in 2017?
As the new manager of the Market, I am very excited about what 2017 will bring!
There is much going on and we hope you will continue to support all our businesses.
- The Market Café is now being operated by Redhead and the Chef. They’ve done a lot of work to spruce up the space and their menu looks amazing. It will take a few weeks for their full menu to be put in place, but we trust you will love it as much as us! Their food has been very popular on Wednesdays upstairs and now they’ll have full cooking facilities, so much more opportunity to be creative and incorporate our other vendor’s products. We’ll feature them soon on the website.
- Mini-Market Wednesdays is new – previously Wednesdays was confusing for shoppers (were we open or not?). Now, our focus is consistently being here to provide shoppers with all their local grocery needs twice a week. Wednesdays are great to get a meal to eat in or to go, to have a coffee while getting all your supplies. If you find Saturdays are too busy, then Wednesdays will be perfect. Upstairs will be closed, but it is of course open each Saturday for the full Market experience. Full Wednesday Markets will be back on May 23.
- Upstairs many vendors are moving around:
- The Octilius Group is taking over a whole space
- Sumac Hill Creations and Creative Cliffs are moving in together
- Duncan Weller is moving upstairs to create a whole gallery/book space
- We have an empty space that we are excited to fill very soon… stay tuned!
- The General Store continues to expand their offerings, with many different local products added. Their webpage has been recently updated and more will be added.
- Downstairs, H & P Jams & Jellies has moved from the middle to the front of the building, plenty of room for all their delicious jams! We are welcoming Steve’s Bakery (Finnish breads and other delicacies) on Wednesdays, and Olga’s Tasty Bits (Austrian pastries) will be joining us both Wednesdays and Saturdays in mid-January.
- We are looking to change up our seating for visitors and those enjoying breakfasts or dinners at the Café. We’ve also bought two highchairs! You’ll see some other changes coming shortly. If you know of a local furniture maker, send them to this page!
- We plan to start letting you know more about how shopping local impacts our community. We also want to feature vendors that have started their business here, and then grown through your support into having their own shops. We are so proud to have been involved in their development and are looking to support start-up businesses in a number of new ways.
- The website will be evolving in the next months. We anticipate a full vendor profile on each vendor – where to find them, a bit more about them, and have a comprehensive list of everything available for sale here each week.
- We are generally sprucing up the place, doing deep cleaning, getting news signs and some painting. I look forward to hearing what you think – please feel free to find me at the Market or to email me with any questions or concerns.
And of course, I’m new. Hi, I’m Annet Maurer. I started with the Market as the Manager in late November 2016, taking over from John Graveson who was with the Market for almost 18 years and has now retired. I was previously at the Law School with Lakehead University, involved since before the students started. Prior to that, I lived in Australia for over a decade with my Aussie husband and our son and have been to a wide variety of different markets across Europe, Australia and even Ethiopia. I’m excited to bring some of those ideas here to Thunder Bay. I grew up in Thunder Bay, am a Hammarskjold Viking at heart, I love to cook, and I am proud to #ChooseTbayFirst when it comes to shopping. Welcome to our Market.